Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Three months to the day...

I started this ginormous kitchen project.  On December 31st, 2011, I began painting the walls.  Thanks to an unexpected "Winter Blast 2012" and countless late nights and weekends, I finally finished this project on March 31st, 2012.  Thanks to my wonderful husband who finished the last pieces of tricky door trim on the first day of my spring break.  What a relief! I'm so happy with how it turned out. I love every inch of that space.  I love my new convection oven where I can bake and roast two things at the same time.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my wine rack above the fridge and I love the fact that this room, more than any other in this house, feels like me.  I suppose my husband and two step daughters might not like the sound of that but this was my vision from the day I laid eyes on this place and I carried it out.  It's my happy place.  (The laundry room's not too shabby either if I do say so myself.) Here are a few final before and afters of what it took to finish this baby up:
 Look ma, no trim. 

 Ahh much better.  Tricky for sure. Thanks to my husband who knows his way around a sabersaw.  Love him.  

 A couple of specifics to remind me when "I can't remember what that color was called":  
Walls:  Bonaparte satin by Parker Paint 
Cabinet paint:Cappuccino White by Home Depot (Behr?) color matched to Benjamin Moore Advance Water Borne Interior Alkyd paint. Huh? I don't know either. It just works so good. It was the nicest paint I've ever seen.  If I was going to paint someone else's kitchen cabinets I'd use it again. And again, and again...
 

Oh and you can't  see it too clearly here but thanks to Pinterest for this little art inspiration.  That is one of my grandma's old handwritten recipes.  So many of the things I  learned to cook came from my mom who learned from my grandma. Its one of my favorite things in this kitchen.  I love cooking in here with my stepdaughters, I love sitting in here and chatting with friends, I love being able to look around and see so many things that make me happy.   It was worth every second of the hard work.

 Damn it feels good to be a gangster finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment